Things to Do After a Car Accident
The best way to handle the stressful situation of being in a car accident is to simply act smart. Be thorough in how you approach the situation. If you are not incapacitated at the scene, then do your best to gather information. It is essential to be thorough in situations that could lead to legal proceedings.
- Check that everyone involved in the accident is OK. Find them avenues to medical care if they need to be seen in a hospital.
- Be courteous, but you should speak to everyone who was involved in the accident. Find out what people saw, even if they are just witnesses. Ensure that your information is thorough.
- Make sure that you also receive adequate medical care. Check into possible injuries. Injuries from a car accident may surface after the fact.
- Know that injuries can have a bearing on legal proceedings in the case of an accident.
- Check with police and consider legal representation in the event of a serious incident.
- Do not apologize unnecessarily for wrongdoing, for example admitting that you could not see while driving, as this can cause legal trouble for you. This is a level of admitting culpability.
- Do not flee from the scene of an accident.
- Anything that indicates a lack of willingness to cooperate reflects badly on your possible legal case.
For help with a vehicular accident case, call Peterson & Peterson LLC at 937-372-3584.